The clinical trial was conducted by the University of Almería Center for Neuropsychological Evaluation and Rehabilitation (CERNEP) in correspondence with the bioethics committee.
The device used was the SONA 2 clitoral massager by LELO, which uses patented SenSonic technology to stimulate more of the clitoris in comparison with traditional vibrators.
Female pleasure has long been misunderstood and underresearched, finally occupying a central position in the interest of sexology. The development of sex toys for women particularly the invention of clitoral massagers, has contributed a lot to a better understanding of sexual pleasure.
Limited previous research has focused mainly on the effects of using vibrators, but the development of clitoral massagers has posed the need for more advancements in research and scientific acknowledgements in literature and medicine.
Study Framework and Trial Objectives
The Sexology Studies Unit of the CERNEP Research Center of the University of Almería presented the results of the first study aimed at discovering the effects of SONA 2 Cruise on the female sexual response. The analysis revealed that women exposed to the use of SONA 2 Cruise enjoyed a significant increase in the intensity of their orgasms.
This is the first scientific study conducted on clitoral massagers and the subjective measurements of sexual response in 100 women and anatomical and vascular ultrasounds in 89 participants.
The data was collected in two ways, by use of sonography of the clitoris, as well as subjective data gathered through various validated questionnaires.
- Over 70% of participants reported simultaneous clitoral and vaginal penetration as the most common method to reach orgasm.
- Forty percent of participants normalized using the clitoral massager with their partner, which may be related to the results of orgasm frequency and sexual satisfaction in relationships.
- Half of the participants reported SONA 2 as their preferred sex toy at the end of the study. Sixty-five percent of participants reported their experience with SONA 2 as better than expected.
- The frequency of orgasms with a partner increased by over 49%.
- Sexual arousal increased both when the toy was used solo and with a partner. Participants who used the device at the minimum frequency use (2-3 times per week) reported a significant increase in genital sensations, lubrication, and orgasm.
- The participants experiencing menopause (15 women) reported an improvement in subjective excitation, lubrication and the total value of the Female Sexual Function Index (FSFI).
It is important to keep in mind that sample size, frequency of use, and standardization methods could affect the results of a study.
“The first time I used it, I felt a level of arousal and orgasm that I’d never had in my life. Throughout the times I was using it, I have not had these intense feelings again.” – Participant 5
“Yesterday and the day before yesterday, I masturbated using other methods, and I had an orgasm after 2 minutes, something that took me longer before I started using the massager. I’m going to look into whether it’s because of the massager or the degree of arousal. I’d also like to point out that both times were much more intense than before and that since I started masturbating with Lelo, I notice that I’m much wetter, and I’m horny almost every day.” – Participant 96
“It’s a different sensation, and with the combined massaging and vibrating, it’s as if the body reacts on its own.” – Participant 29
Interested in learning more about LELO’s sex toys?